Lorelai and Rory

Lorelai and Rory
My inspiration!

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Gilmore Girls Diet - The Original Idea

Have you watched the TV show The Gilmore Girls and wished that you could lose weight while eating like Lorelai and Rory? Have you ever wondered if it was possible? Well, I have. And I'm here to invite you to join me in my journey from "fat and dieting" to "thin and eating"!

This is of course, just an experiment, and I can't wait to see how it goes!

The four food groups of the Gilmore Girls are: fast food, junk food, frozen food, and takeout. I'm not suggesting that you stick to that 100%, but it's nice to know that you can.

The point of this diet is to enjoy eating, not to overeat. This plan will be perfect for people who don't cook, which is me, most of the time. I will not be depriving myself of any favorite food, and I will not be forcing myself to eat anything just because it's healthy.

I plan to eat for hunger only (98% of the time), but to choose delicious,fast,and convenient options, like a Gilmore would.

Breakfast:
The Gilmores almost always eat a poptart or cereal for breakfast. They also drink a lot of coffee, which I don't like unless there is a lot of milk added, so I will probably be sticking to water and diet coke most days with breakfast.

Lunch:
The faster, the better. The Gilmores are famous for eating lunch at the local diner, Luke's. I cannot afford to eat out every day, so I will be making my own sandwiches and eating them with a side of either baked french fries, tater tots, potato chips, or canned vegetables. Some days I will eat a frozen meal instead. But it has to be delicious, something that I will love.

Dinner:
Again, the Gilmores like to eat out a lot, which I cannot afford to do right now. But what I notice is that they eat junk food for dinner when they are at home. Or they eat whatever is convenient for them at the time. One day Lorelai took out a bag of salad, poured some ranch dressing in, shook it up and ate straight from the bag with a fork. Beeferoni was also mentioned as an option. Experiment with dinner options, find what works for you. Eating a variety of foods, or sticking to my favorites most of the time, all is okay.

Snacks:
Anything goes. Salty snacks are anything from chips to leftover chinese takeout. Sweet snacks are poptarts, mallowmars, dessert sushi, etc. Allow yourself to eat any of these snacks at any time, but only in excess one night a week while watching a movie. The Gilmores love movie night, and will eat a lot during the movie.

Exercise:
The Gilmore girls do not like exercise, or believe that it's important for them. This is the part of their lifestyle that I cannot abide by, since I have so much weight to lose. I also really enjoy exercise, so I will be sticking to an exercise plan every week. Usually I will do cardio 3 times and strength 3 times, exercising 5-6 days every week for a minimum of 30 minutes each session.

When to Eat/How to Eat:
Eat when hungry! I will be eating only when truly hungry and will stop eating when satisfied, not full. This goes along with the principles of Intuitive Eating, something that I am a major advocate of. I did mention earlier that I will be eating for fun once a week, giving myself permission to eat junk in excess during movie night. That is OPTIONAL, and I probably won't do this every week. Only when it makes sense.


Water intake: I drink at least 2 liters (or 8 8oz glasses) of water daily. More if I drink a lot of diet soda or coffee.

*I know that The Gilmore Girls is a TV show and that Lorelai and Rory are fictional characters. I also know that the actresses who play these parts do not really eat this way. I'm just using them as fun examples of intuitive eaters.

3 comments:

  1. This is my favorite blog post EVER! Oh man! Nostalgia! I am SO bummed they left Gilmore Girls unfinished like that... this diet makes me giggle because I totally wish I could eat like them and still keep a slim figure like them! Thanks for sharing this on fb today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did this go? I love that you came up with this idea!! Their eating habits and lack of weight gain always cracked me up. I noticed that they rarely ever finish what they're eating so perhaps part of their success what eating whatever they want in small amounts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny/entertaining/interesting! I feel like I don't quite have the words for it but it's a really cool idea for a post and it's true that if not anything else, Lorelai and Rory are good examples of intuitive eaters.

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete